I love lots of beachy/ocean related designs, including anything to do with mermaids, dolphins or manatees. I found this sheet at Goodwill and I figured I would be able to use it in a variety of projects. I’d been planning to make some sort of clothing out of it, and then I found out some of my friends were having a beach/island party and I thought it would be the perfect time to finish it by.
My original plan for this fabric was as a dress, and I even cut out the bodice lining and sewed it together. Unfortunately I must’ve picked the wrong size, because it was HUGE! I realized I wouldn’t be able to finish the dress in time for the party, so I just made it into a skirt…With pockets!
- Pattern: McCall’s M6349 (Size 20), Simplicity 2067 for waistband
- Fabric: Sheet from Goodwill, yoke made out of a Batik quilting cotton fat quarter
- Notions: 3/4″ Elastic
- Time to complete: 5 hours?
- Make again: Yeah, I still want a dress out of it, and I think I have enough fabric to make a whole dress out of it.
- Total cost: The sheet was probably $2, the yoke was $1 and the elastic was $1, so $4 total.
I loved this pattern and thought it was pretty well-made – the pattern called for a fully lined bodice and skirt and included side seam pockets. I modified it slightly since I ended up making it an elastic waisted skirt instead of a dress with a zipper. I also sewed all the sides with french seams up to the pocket opening. I’m excited to try it again as an actual dress, and hopefully the bodice will fit better next time!
Posted on July 26, 2013, in Crafts, Sewing and tagged clothing, mccalls, mccalls m6349, photos, sewing, simplici, Simplicity 2067, skirt, thrift store find, upcycling. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.